Resource: Digital Citizenship Resources
GENERAL DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP/IDENTITY/CYBERBULLYING RESOURCES
PLEASE NOTE - Because of the type of presentation (towards awareness), there are a few websites described below that would NOT be appropriate for the classroom. In cases where I felt that a site would be inappropriate to open in an educational environment, I have sometimes linked to a Wikipedia description. Still, the descriptions themselves can be somewhat shocking so I would advise caution in viewing this page.
WEBSITES AND RESOURCES IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE (slides available here):
- Rotten.com Wikipedia Description - Wikipedia article on this shock site (actual website is NOT recommended viewing)
- 4chan Wikipedia Description - Wikipedia article on this imageboard website (actual website is NOT recommended viewing)
- Rickrolling - Wikipedia article on the rickrolling meme (rickrolling your friends or colleague is NOT recommended)
- Anonymous group - Wikipedia article on the Anonymous group, an ‘anarchic, digital global brain’.
- Pornography Stats - State of pornography on the Internet, stats from Optenet.
- Chatroulette Wikipedia Description - Wikipedia article on this (once?) popular anonymous, web-cam pairing website (actual website is NOT recommended).
- Nudity Detection Software - Article re: nudity detection software integrated into Chatroulette.
- ‘Everyone’ - Video from the NCMEC’s “Don’t Believe the Type” campaign. The slogan of this campaign was “think before you post”.
- Online “Predators” and Their Victims - Informative article debunking the myth of the cyberpredator (PDF).
- Enhancing Child Safety - Another informative and well-researched report on child safety online.
- Risk Reduction Strategies on Facebook - danah boyd describes how teens in her study are protecting their online identity. Also, see danah’s keynote at Penn State re: Living and Learning with Social Media, focuses on teens and tweens.
- MartinLutherKing.org - A site purportedly about MLK written by a white supremacist organization. Note: link is not active here as to not bring it more traffic. More traffic to any site increases its Google Rank, and thus, its visibility.
- The Hate Directory - A comprehensive listing of hate groups active on the Internet.
- alt.suicide Wikipedia Description - The Wikipedia description of a UseNet group that began with noble intentions, but soon ended up being a negative support group for those thinking about suicide. Has a high degree of ‘trolling’.
- ‘Time’s Person of the Year: You’ - Article by Lev Grossman on WWW culture.
- Witopia - A popular, virtual private network service. Allows people to surf in privacy, and get around filters and geo-restrictions.
- Personal HotSpot - TechCrunch article on iOS Personal Hotspot feature - describes Verizon implementation, but works the same in Canada.
- Surgeon’s Photo - Wikipedia article on the origin of this famous Loch Ness monster photograph/hoax from 1933.
- SaveToby.com Description - Wikipedia description on an early Internet extortion site.
- Faked Apollo Landings - Website with ‘evidence’ describing how we’ve never actually been to the moon.
- 9/11 Truth Movement - People that believe that 9/11 was an inside job.
- Milli Vanilli - The story behind the fraud.
- Charging Your iPhone - Video describing how to charge an iPhone with an onion and Gatorade. Do NOT try this. Mythbusters debunked it here.
- Sprint’s Now Network - Popular web commercial from Sprint describing the ‘Now Network’
- Star Wars Kid Description - Wikipedia article on this Internet meme that resulted in the world’s largest case of cyberbullying. It’s interesting to note that the Wikipedia editors chose to NOT use the boy’s actual name in the article as a matter of decency for his identity (although it’s easy to find elsewhere).
- David After the Dentist Description - Wikipedia article on the David After the Dentist Internet meme.
- Antoine Dodson Description - Wikipedia article on Antoine Dodson and the Bed Intruder song/meme.
- If the Earth Were a Sandwich - A challenge from Ze Frank.
- Naheed Nenshi & Social Media - Social Media Analysis of Naheed Nenshi’s campaign.
- Justin Bieber Description - Wikipedia article on Justin Bieber including his discovery on Youtube.
- Amanda Hocking - Article on Amanda Hocking’s young career as Kindle author.
- Maria Aragon Description - Fifth grade student from Winnipeg who has become an Internet sensation after covering a Lady Gaga song.
- Rebecca Black Description - Teen who achieved fame from ‘the worst song ever’.
- Teacher Loses Job - Article re: teacher losing her job after inappropriate comments about school parents and students.
- Anti-duck Face - Collection of kids (mostly young girls) who make that ‘duck-face’ on their social media profiles.
- Cisco ‘Fatty’ - Article about a girl who lost her job because of a anti-Cisco tweet.
- Digital Birth - Article with stats regarding digital footprint pre-birth.
- Stalking in English Class - Great middle years lesson by Clarence Fisher.
- Personal Branding in the Age of Google - Great, short post by Seth Godin.
- Google Alerts - Automate search, and make it come to you. This is a great tool for reputation management of individuals, institutions, or brands.
- Personas - Interesting and powerful tool for analyzing an online profile - results are much better for someone with a well developed online presence.
- about.me - A website that allows people to bridge their distributed, digital identities.
- Identity Management Project - Proactive project by Prairie South School Division where the district purchases web domains for students, and helps them develop a positive digital identity before leaving school.
- Best Job In the World - Top 16 applicants for the Best Job in the World.
- Stephen Downes - Downes’ wise commentary on the Best Job in the World.
- Saskatchewanderer - Saskatchewan’s version of the same contest.
- Contestant Disqualified - Saskatchewander contestant disqualified after video found of him swearing at a Rider game AT the Edmonton Eskimos.
- Ze Frank’s Web Playroom - Great TED Talk by Ze Frank.
- Visitors vs. Residents - Dave White’s presentation on Residents/Visitors vs. Natives/Immigrants.
- Alye Pollack’s Bullying Video - HuffPo article on Alye Pollack as she created a video about her own bullying.